Monday, December 1, 2014

Great Expectations

I've been reading a lot and managed to read 8 chapters since the last time I wrote! And I finally reached the part where the truth about who is the "sponsor" of Pip (who is the one who is paying in order for him to become a gentleman) We realise it is the convict who the main character helps in the beginning. This is a big plot twist in the book as everything so far has made us believe that it is Miss Havisham who is sponsoring Pip. ( It wasn't that shocking for me as my sister read the book before and spoiled it for me...)

I also wanted to talk about my favourite character in the book so far. I would say that this is Joe, the blacksmith who is taking care of the Pip in the beginning of the story. This is because he is very modest, selfless, kind and generous. His love for the main character is shown even in the very first chapters, where he never argues with Pip, but treats him as an equal and most importantly as a friend. He is put through having a horrible wife (Mrs Joe) just because he really cares about the boy and doesn't want to leave him. Even when Pip is at his worst, is ashamed of home and treats everyone from his family and friends as if they are on a "lower level" than him, because they are poor, Joe still stands by him and supports him. Even when the boy insults him, Joe accepts it silently and never shouts at him. This makes me feel sorry for him, because he is ready to do everything for someone who is ungrateful and treats him badly.

2 comments:

  1. The books sounds very interesting! I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo Kalina! Your such a good reader!

    ReplyDelete