Friday, May 6, 2016

The Scarlett Letter

I started reading "The Scarlett Letter" a few weeks ago, but I didn't reach that far. The main character, Hester, is condemned to public shaming for "adultery" and she goes on stage holding her kid. She has cheated on her husband, because he had left her. Another punishment of hers is to have the letter A embroidered on every gown she wears, in order to embarrass her even more and draw more attention to her "crime". Her husband had left her to go to America, but she recognises him in the crowd, but he tells her not to reveal who he is. The two meet later and he makes it clear that he wants revenge on her and her lover.

That's as far as I have reached in the book, but I am really enjoying it. It is easy to read and even though, I have only read 5 chapters, the action has begun from the beginning. The book really keeps me wanting to read and know what's going to happen next. The emotions are conveyed really well and the old times are described throughly, which makes it easier for the reader to imagine being there and to guess what life was like at those times.

No comments:

Post a Comment