Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Book! Crazy Rich Asians

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
Hey there, Peter here and happy new year to you all! I decided to pause the current book I am reading right now (dreadnought). As a change of pace, I chose a new fiction novel written by Kevin Kwan. In contradiction to it's 'un-sophisticated' title, the book projects a world of nouveau riche asians that became incredibly rich in the past few decades. The book revolves an Asian girl named Rachel Chu who was born and raised the States and her boyfriend named Nicholas Young who was born in a rich Chinese family in Singapore. One summer, he invited Rachel to his hometown, Singapore. Rachel agreed and she thought that she would meet a humble family with a normal quality life. Nick forgot to mention that his family is one of the richest and influential family in the world...

So far in the story, I read up to the part where Rachel accepts the invitation but Nick's family was not really aware of her existence. They held disdain against Rachel even before they met because she was a middle-class Taiwanese (judging from her last name). I have a feeling that they story will get interesting from here because so far, I like how the story flows smoothly and it is easy to follow. The language is not too hard for me to take in and overall, it is very addicting (it is hard for me to get really addicted to a book).

I think that it is important nowadays to acknowledge the 'new money' folks (especially from China) 
because in the future, I am sure that our society will be full of those 'social climbers' and they will emit an incredible amount of influence in it as well.

Have a great day! 
Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment