Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Charles Dickens: "The Great Winglebury Duel"

This novel first struck me because of its title; quite gripping and intriguing in a way. I have always loved books written by Charles Dickens so I took this as an opportunity to read more. It is book N°37 in the Penguin Little Black Classics.

The first part of the book, The Great Winglebury Duel, was the best story in my opinion, my favourite out of the two stories from the novel. I enjoyed it because it was funny and exciting, unlike many of Dickens' books at the time, which were more of mockery and slightly gloomy in a way. It was a story about mistaken identity and with humour within it, something I wasn't really expecting but this made it all the more enjoyable to read.

On the other hand The Steam Excursion; the second story, was rather boring and dull. About a lazy law student, Percy Noakes, who organises a steamship excursion. He's a very good man, and gets his way around by being so. But on this steamship excursion, where many guests are present, a storm rises causing the boat to tilt and many of the guests on board get seasickness. They blame it all on Percy; frustrated by his lack of success on this journey, he goes back to being an ordinary law student and continues his studies. In time he becomes a prosecuted counsel, feared by everyone. I didn't enjoy  this story that much because it is too predictable what happens in it.

I personally preferred many of Dickens' plays rather than these short stories, but it was something different to read therefore slightly entertaining.


No comments:

Post a Comment