Wednesday, February 25, 2015

I have finished the Great Gatsby now, and I think that it is possibly one of my favourite books. I love the was that the writer brings that characters and descriptions to life, he makes you think that you are watching a movie instead of reading the book. The thing that disappointed me a bit was the fact the Jay Gatsby died in the end, he was a favourite character. I liked the way that he was mysterious but at the same time completely open about anything. He was sweet as he wanted to give Daisy the life that she wanted and that he thought she deserved. In the end, we find out that Gatsby makes his money by selling illegal alcohol and that everything that he was telling everyone wasn't true.
  Daisy on the other hand, was the one that shocked us the most, first of all, she let Gatsby take the blame for the death of Myrtle, she also never called Gatsby when she said she would and she also didn't attend his funeral.
  I don't understand why the author made Gatsby die in the end, I guess it makes the story more realistic as not all stories have happy endings and it also made us see the gravity of the situation. He thought that Daisy really loved him but even when he died, she didn't show up fro his funeral, actually, no one did. No one respected Gatsby enough to attend his funeral but they had the audacity to go to every single one of his parties. The only person that actually cared was Tom.
  The death of Gatsby is what drove Tome into becoming an alcoholic and a drunk and this whole story was seen from Tom's point of view, a small town boy coming to live with millionaires. I think that it was a good idea to narrate the story from  Tom's point of view because that way we get to see Gatsby and Daisy's love from the outside.

I rate the book 9.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment