Monday, February 9, 2015

The end of C.R.A.

The end of Crazy Rich Asians
"I've had enough being around all these crazy rich Asians, all these people whose lives revolve around making money, spending money, flaunting money, comparing money, hiding money, controlling others with money and ruining their lives over money..." -Rachel Chu

That is one of my favourite quote from the book because it basically explains the title. I finally finished the book last night. It was really addicting since it was when Rachel had enough of Nick's family. Nick's family had been trying to drive her crazy and away from Nick. They were trying to prevent her from marrying him. I thought this was pretty pathetic. To stick to the family traditions and not adapting to the modern society is seriously a problem for the children who is growing up in a modern world. Nick was pressured by his family not to marry her but he was adamant. I understood him because my grandfather's family is Chinese and thought that Chinese traditional values are important. However, the difference between my family and the family in the book is 'freedom'. My grandfather is much more open and his family is adapted to the new society. I have the rights to choose my job, wife and education. However, in the book, Nick had no choice but to follow his family. Even though they might be the richest family in Asia, having no happiness is a sad thing. To be honest, this brought many interesting questions into my mind while I read. It is definitely worth reading. This book is a book that made me quite addicting to reading (usually, it's hard for me to find an addicting book). Partly because I made some references to my family and comparing them while reading.

Rachel Chu, the female protagonist of the story is a really smart person. I felt bad for her since she was not accepted by Nick's family because of her family's social ranking. Since she was smart, she was able to charm Nick's friends with her talkative traits. This book taught me many things about living happily, it showed the negative side of having too much money.

My favourite quote from the book:
"I want them  (their future children) to love their family, but to feel a deeper sense of pride in who they are as individuals, Nick, not in how much money they have, what their last name is, or how many generations they go back to whatever dynasty"

I strongly recommend this book due to its plot, colourful descriptions and comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment